Saturday, January 03, 2009

Leinster-26 Connacht-18



That heading has a triple meaning.

First, it refers to the dilemma I had Friday evening whereby both my favourite rugby and soccer teams were playing live on the telly at exactly the same time.

In the end, I plumped to watch the Spurs match as it happened, since I receive text message updates of the scorelines so I had a better chance of watching events at the RDS unfold without knowing who had one (don’t like switching my phone off).

Second, my scream comes from frustration at the absolutely ABYSMAL standard of officiating in this Meaningless League encounter. 

I mean...who WAS that guy??? 

Awarding penalties as if for fun, continuously getting himself dragged into rucks, noticing Fogarty’s punches yet penalising Stan Wright instead, and as for the touch judge not seeing Luke Fitzgerald’s blatant forward pass which set up what proved to be the winning try…

Yes, I KNOW those last two calls helped Leinster win, but that is hardly a consolation.

There is no doubt that Connacht deserved something from this game, not so much because they were the better side, more so that they were able to hold their ground while the home side kept giving the ball back to them.

In fairness, it was only the appalling performance of the officials that gave us the four points, and even the chance of five.

And the third reason I let out an almighty shout at my television late last night? The dropped pass, by I think big Mal O’Kelly, in the dying moment which would certainly have given us a thoroughly undeserved yet vital bonus point.

With regard to our overall performance it really was a lacklustre display all round by the backline who seemed to always want to score the perfect try rather than establish a lead by doing the basics first before trying to entertain.  

If there was a silver lining it was at LEAST the lads showed respect to the fans who showed up this time by pushing for the bonus point.

But it has to be said - if we play like we have the past week in Twickenham we can kiss this season bye-bye.

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019