Friday, April 03, 2009

Leinster-32 Ulster-6

LeinsterVUlster

THE ROCKY ROAD

Sorry again my report is so late – just not blogging that much these days is my only defence…

So – how could Irish rugby POSSIBLY follow up from the amazing Grand Slam weekend?

By its leading provinces getting back to their old form, that’s how.

And both Leinster AND Munster did just that by making this year’s Meaningless League a two-horse race between its two biggest rivals.

Normally, as you may know, I’m tough on the boys in blue for not going for the bonus point, but going into this encounter I was adamant that given the local derby nature of the contest, a simple four-point haul would have been fine.

But this time the boys had other ideas.  Once they started crossing the Ulster line you could see a determination in Leinster’s play that showed they all appreciate that this season is far from over.

And all credit to the Munster fans after the game at the RDS.  I reckon they have a legitimate beef about the referee’s timekeeping, or should I say lack of it, that led us to crossing for the extra point right at the death.

If there was anything negative to be taken from this game, it was from the post-match interview with man-of-the-match Rocky Elsom.  Clearly he has made up his mind that this is to be his one and only season for Leinster Rugby.

But now that I’m hearing that the province are being sticklers over releasing him at thend of the campaign, I can only hope this doesn’t affect his attitude for the much bigger fixtures to come, none less than the mouth-watering top-of-the-table clash at Thomond Park on Saturday night.

Here’s hoping they can sort it out.  I’m greedy for more Irish rugby success this term.

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019