Friday, February 25, 2011

Leinster-30 Benetton Treviso-5

Click here for my pre-match podcast “I Wanna Stan Wright Your Father”

treviso

SNAP JUDGEMENT

They say every picture tells a story…if that’s true, the collection this blogger took at the RDS on Friday night was an epic tale of woe!

I had a loan of my brother-in-law’s Nikon D60 (or to use the more technical term “fancy-shmancy camera”) for the evening so I wanted to make the most of it.  Sadly I was under the very mistaken impression that because the photos were digital then taking quality snaps would be easy!  Full kudos to those who dedicate more time to it.

Anyway, if you want to see the best from my very bad lot, you’ll find them on the end of this link.

I do like the one I chose for this post because it has so much in it…the lineout being secured by the forwards, the backs standing by at the ready, and looking down from on high in the Royal Box, Joe Schmidt & his coaching minions.  Yeah, like I was going for that. But who needs to know that little detail???

And since it’s a Six Nations weekend, plus to remain in keeping with my choice of headline, I’ll keep this write-up brief.

We should have gotten the bonus point.

OK, maybe not THAT brief!

If all chances had been taken by both sides, then a scoreline of something like 42-18 would have been the outcome.  Treviso were finding try-scoring opportunities out wide and were unlucky with a slightly forward pass or two, while their kicker Willem de Waal couldn’t kick snow off a rope from the place tee.

So as it panned out, Leinster’s younglings led by Isa Nacewa were just too good for their opponents, “too good” enough for at least a fourth try but alas with the “knockon gremlins” that seem to be haunting Leinster and Irish rugby these days that just wasn’t to be.

Ian McKinley deserved his “Man of the Match” award with a tidy display at 10, confirming his place ahead of Ian Madigan in the pecking order.  If Jonny Sexton is allowed to play next Friday against the Scarlets, I’d be very surprised if his fellow St Mary’s out-half isn’t rewarded with a spot on the bench.  O’Malley and Kearney the Younger also impressed.

Elsewhere on the park there was much effort, though one area I thought we were lacking was the second row. Ed O’Donoghue and (though I hate to say it) Devin Toner were both vulnerable in the lineouts and ineffective in the loose.

But in the most part, it was positive.  The winning home record remains intact, we have avenged the nightmare from the reverse fixture last September, thanks to the Ulstermen beating Cardiff we’re back up to second at the time of writing, and we can be safe in knowledge that our next generation has yet more top-level experience under their belts – we’re going to need it next Autumn while the World Cup is on!

As for my sports photography aspirations, let’s just say I think I should stay more “about the words” for now.

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019