Wednesday, May 09, 2012

ROOTS & ALL - conclusion (for now)










Here's a short post to formally bring the "Roots & All" project to a close for this season.  

In case you haven't seen this before, I have followed the progress of six "grass roots" rugby union clubs throughout their 2011/12 campaigns, and each has provided me with top-notch content every Wednesday.

First and foremost I'd like to thank my contributors - Pauline from Ards RFC Ladies, Scott from Cannock RUFC, Irene & John from Connemara RFC, Stephen & Tony from Guinness RFC 2nds, Annraoi & Dan from Stillorgan RFC and Pat from Unidare RFC.

All of the above were brilliant at getting their updates to me every week and of course the project could not have happened without them.

When I started the HarpinOnRugby blog in August 2008 my goal was to keep a record of my experiences as a season-ticket holder at Leinster Rugby.  But always in the back of my mind I was conscious that what I would see every other week at the RDS couldn't happen without the network of grass roots clubs playing the game week in, week out.

Sadly having played the game in school, a combination of life-decisions and injuries meant I haven't done a lot of egg-chasing since - and rather than regret it, I'd like to do what I can as a blogger to help promote the game at all levels.

For this reason I plan to keep this blog going next season, but most likely with a different format, one that ideally can encourage all clubs to get involved.  And of course anything we do with this blog will be merely to complement the excellent coverage of knockon.ie rather than be an alternative to it.

So thanks to all who followed this blog throughout the year - keep tabs on HarpinOnRugby via blog, Facebook or twitter to see what is planned for next season! JLP

NOTE = The Roots & All posts from the 2011/12 season have been all kept on draft and are available on request.

© JL Pagano 2012

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019