Friday, April 12, 2013

Lions Selector Panel–8th Round (SCO)

It’s one of the hottest debate topics egg-chasing has to offer.

Given we live in something of a green goldfish bowl on these Irish shores, there’s no harm getting input from elsewhere. And so we have the HarpinOnRugby Lions Selector Panel, made up of one fan from each nation, with even the Irish panellist based abroad.

This week it’s the turn of our Scottish panellist Kirsten Bruce. Click here to see how her latest choices affect the overall panel’s selection.

British-Irish-Lions-logo-20131

It’s the Final Countdown! It is officially 18 days until the British and Irish Lions touring squad is announced – and 18 days until my birthday! (All the more reason to celebrate!)

There has been so much speculation over who Mr Gatland will be picking – the likes of Nathan Hines and Jonny Wilkinson? Will he go for a predominantly Welsh squad, or mix it up a bit? I know I would not be picking older players that have retired internationally purely because there is players STILL playing internationally who have heaps of experience.

My squad would look something like this (not in any order):

Fullbacks – Leigh Halfpenny, Stuart Hogg, Rob Kearney

Wings – Tim Visser, George North, Alex Cuthbert, Craig Gilroy

Centres – Manu Tuilagi, BOD, Jamie Roberts, Jonathan Davies

Fly Halves – Jonathan Sexton, Owen Farrell

Scrum Halves – Mike Phillips, Conor Murray, Greig Laidlaw

No 8 – Johnnie Beattie, Toby Faletau

Flankers – Chris Robshaw, Kelly Brown, Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric/Ross Rennie (fitness dependant)

2nd Rows – Jim Hamilton, Joe Launchbury, Alun Wyn Jones, Paul O’Connell

Hookers – Ross Ford, Rory Best, Richard Hibbard

Tighthead Props – Euan Murray, Adam Jones, Dan Cole

Loosehead Props – Cian Healy, Ryan Grant, Gethin Jenkins

My Test team would look something like this, only one change to my team from last month, and that’s at fly half:

1. Cian Healy

2. Ross Ford

3. Adam Jones

4. Alun Wyn Jones

5. Jim Hamilton

6. Sam Warburton

7. Justin Tipuric

8. Johnnie Beattie

9. Conor Murray

10. Jonny Sexton

11. Tim Visser

12. BOD

13. Manu Tuilagi

14. Alex Cuthbert

15. Leigh Halfpenny

Replacements – 16. Rory Best 17. Gethin Jenkins 18. Euan Murray 19. Joe Launchbury 20. Chris Robshaw 21. Greig Laidlaw 22. Owen Farrell 23. Stuart Hogg

As for my captain – I have not a clue. There are two obvious captains in my XV in BOD and Warburton and I thought sharing captaincy would be a good idea, much like Craig Clarke and Liam Messam do for the Chiefs in Super 15. And it worked very well for them last season!

I realise my selections are not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but I went with the players who I feel have been showing good form for their countries, and those who are experienced at the same time. Have a read, and get back to me with suggestions please!

I’m Kirsten. Some who read this may follow me on twitter (@kirstenbruce_02). I’m a big Scotland supporter, so apologies if I am a little bit biased. Also, big thanks to Jeff (@HarpinOnRugby) for allowing me to be involved – it’s sure to be challenging but a great experience!

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019