Thursday, June 06, 2013

Keego on…Heatwaves & Healy

The Lions could learn a thing or two on camaraderie from the Seapoint Thirsty Thirds, writes Keego…

Keego logo

I am very sad.

But aside from that, I am also sad that there are no Leinster matches for the foreseeable future. I am suffering from withdrawal. Only NewGirl and Babestation can save me. Perhaps I am sharing too much, but I feel we know each other well enough at this stage……What do you mean we don’t?

So the Lions tour has started. To be honest, I am not at my most excited! I do enjoy watching most rugby, but to me, this is just another series of games. I think it is because of the sky sports nonsense about ‘being a Lion’. In saying that, it could be because the closest I will ever get to being one is an old jersey. Sky sports keep mentioning the camaraderie, the fighting together and the team spirit. I hate to break it to you, but any team that kits out on a Sunday has that. The Seapoint Thirsty Thirds have that; it makes them the envy of the other teams in the club.

I didn’t watch the match against the barbarians because the first 2 matches are usually nonsense. The nonsense factor was ratcheted up hugely this year by playing the game in Hong Kong. In humidity that would make a hot cup of tea get hotter. This was the part of the Lions that is equal with sky sports coverage as a turn off factor. The corporatization of the tour is a bit sickening. I understand that bills have to be paid. I understand that when you charter a plane to fly the lads everywhere first class, it has to be paid for. But putting health at risk is pushing it a bit far. Especially when the Barbarians didn’t take it in any way seriously.

I did listen to the first half and watch the second half of the game against the western force. They were AWFUL! The force where saving their team for the league match next week, so it was second stringers and 7’s players. The game served no purpose. Banging on 60+ points against a second string team is about as useful as………eh………something very useless.

It also may have cost Cian Healy the rest of the tour. He has been cited for biting along with a rotten looking ankle injury. I am not sure how you bite someone while wearing a gum shield, but he has been cited nonetheless. In fact, the homework for you is to try and bite your significant other / romantic acquaintance while wearing a gum shield. Report back ….

Hopefully the game against the Queensland Reds will be a more challenging game on Saturday.

As usual you can find me on twitter @nkeegan to debate/abuse me.

If you are like me, and not into the Lions, there is always Schmidt from NewGirl, what a man!

Until next week….

Ps: For those of you wondering, I am not just a vehicle you can ride to pleasuretown….

Keego (@nkeegan): Blogger, former professional wrestler, sometime attempted rugby player (@TheThirsty3rds), professional procrastinator and attempted musician with a fondness for long walks on the bar, tea and the couch. Opinionated Leinster fan and constant gardener.

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019