Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Let The Schmidt Hit The Fan - Rd 2 (LEIN)

As the new Ireland coaching staff gets to know their squad, here’s the latest thoughts from our Leinster-leaning selector…

Click these links to find the most recent selections from Connacht, Munster & Ulster.

LTSHTF avatar

Right so here we go for round 2. It is September and each team is now acting accordingly and has forgotten how to play rugby, possibly with the exception of Ulster.

To be honest, if there was a big test tomorrow I would probably just pick my last month’s team with a few tiny exceptions, so instead what I have done is picked a team I would like to see get a run out together for one of the weaker November internationals. So hey this is what I would be lashing out against the mighty Samoa if that was this weekend.

I have gone for a mix of inexperience and form, although finding an Irish player on form in September is like trying to find a sober Dublin footballer in the next 3 weeks.

I have also held back from converting Michael Darragh McCauley and including him in the back row as that may annoy the traditionalists.

Next month it is down to business. Promise!

  1. Cian Healy – Church is still unchallenged

  2. Sean Cronin – In my opinion our long term future at hooker

  3. Mike Ross – Ross is still our best option and completes an all Leinster front row

  4. Iain Henderson – Man of the Match for Ulster against Con. Personally I had written him off and I am willing to hold my hands up. Deserves a shot

  5. Donnacha Ryan – Has done enough not to get dropped

  6. Sean O’Brien – Still to make a comeback since the Lions but at 50% still our best back row

  7. Peter O’Mahony – For me he is still keeping Ferris’ spot warm and doing a mighty fine job of it too.

  8. Jamie Heaslip – For me still captain and still unchallenged

  9. Paul Marshall – Had a good half for Ulster in their win last week. Is definitely our back up 9 but I think can challenge Murray. Quicker distribution and can surprise a defence. Has the x factor. You now have permission to slap me for using the term “x factor”.

  10. Paddy Jackson – I know it is early in the season but has been impressive. 13 or 18 points on the weekend was enough for me to give him a bash. Worth a start against someone weaker but not gonna challenge Jonny for a while yet. Needs to not do any more youtube videos mind you, Nizlopi has run its course.

  11. Simon Zebo – As I said earlier this is for a game against a weaker team. I would put Zebo in purely to give him a chance to prove form. Like Jackson he could do with making less videos for the internet. Both the injunction kind and the others.

  12. Luke Marshall – Still my 12. Needs international game time.

  13. Darren Cave – Needs game time if he is going to replace BOD next season. There is all sorts of talk about BOD playing every game to get records and what not but that needs to take a back seat to blooding his replacement.

  14. Fergus McFadden – Would be worth a shot on the wing with 2 inexperienced centres. Can fill in in the middle if times get tough and is a pretty established winger.

  15. Robbie Henshaw - Get this guy blooded as quickly as possible. Can fill in anywhere around the backline but I like him at 15.

  1. Cian Healy

  2. Sean Cronin

  3. Mike Ross

  4. Iain Henderson

  5. Donnacha Ryan

  6. Sean O’Brien

  7. Peter O’Mahony

  8. Jamie Heaslip

  9. Paul Marshall

  10. Paddy Jackson

  11. Simon Zebo

  12. Luke Marshall

  13. Darren Cave

  14. Fergus McFadden

  15. Robbie Henshaw

  16. Dave Kilcoyne

  17. Richardt Strauss

  18. Jamie Hagan

  19. Devin Toner

  20. Chris Henry

  21. Conor Murray

  22. Jonny Sexton

  23. Rob Kearney

Iain O’Connor (@iain_not_ian) is a Leinster fan who should have retired from playing bad standard rugby years ago. Part time stand up comedian and full time radio person he is the presenter and creator of Heave, a schools rugby show on Dublin South FM. He also likes rugby league and names Alisona Taumalolo as his hero.

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019