Tuesday, February 28, 2017

NG Dragons-22 Leinster-54


DRAGON THE ARSE OUT OF IT

One of our overall goals here at HarpinOnRugby is to produce an archive of sorts for Leinster & Ireland fans to look back on down the line, and generally we produce a writeup of around 2000 words after every match.

That's a bit difficult, however, when we are neither present at the match in question nor able to watch TV coverage of the 80 minutes in question!  Still, we're a bit traumatized after letting the win in Treviso go without so much as a post so what we'll do here is share some comments from our Facebook page after we posted the final score at full time, as well as a few thoughts of our own.


A surprisingly good result! Scarlets also on track to win which is also a helluva surprise!

Cormac Mannion 

A bogey ground for us, especially during international windows, so any win is sweet. A BP win sweeter still. But 8 tries? That's chocolate sauce, nuts & sprinkles 👍

Derek McGee

Fantastic win by the boys in blue. Allez Les Bleus !!!

Paul Smith

Told ya Harpo. Far too much fire power. We are on track for the double. Top of the table too.

Chris Mcdonnell

Please use the headline 'Dragon the arse out of it' for the write-up. 🤓

Cian Ó Muilleoir

Wow. Just wow.

John Molloy

2 tries for Conan and from what I could tell McGrath's 2nd could have gone to him as well. Some buck.

Dónal Foley


In my preview I was worried we could lose this one. Naturally I came out looking a little foolish I'll admit, but in my defence I base all my predctions on (a) my team playing below par and (b) our opposition playing at 100%.  But as you can see by the highlights above, neither of those conditions were met so in a way, you could say I was right!!! 😁

Seriously though, it looks like we pulled together and given it was such a makeshift side compared to the previous outing against Edinburgh just over a week earlier, the coaching staff seems to have the squad well drilled in all areas.

That's the first of a crucial three-game set against Welsh regions before the Wasps quarterfinal.  I was hoping for at least 13 points during that sequence, I am now revising that to 14.  But anyone who saw the Scarlets at Thomond last Friday will know that we have to put all recent successes behind us to prepare for their visit to D4 this weekend.

Finally on the subject of TV coverage I will re-post a snippet from my preview...

I know certain companies have agreements with the Pro12 but from what I can tell, the money is relatively small so I'm wondering if down the line the league can add a clause that if the networks choose not to cover a certain individual match, it can be tendered out to someone else?  I'm sure eir Sport would be keen to broadcast tonight's match for example.

Roll on the RDS on Saturday!!! Normal Leinster writeup coverage will be restored by then, we promise! JLP

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019