Thursday, September 06, 2012

Keego on…Sevens and Stags

Perhaps what goes in Vegas shouldn’t ALWAYS stay there, says Keego…
790485_100826182648_Rugby_ball_1
And welcome to week 11 of ‘what the jaysus will Keego talk about now’.
This week I had remembered (or had a flashback) to when I was at the world rugby 7s in Las Vegas. A few of us had a big birthday (not saying which one…….NOT a 40th you cheeky feckers!!) close together so we thought we would make the trip over.
Now as we all know the Americans know nothing about real sports like rugby (wicked generalization). But they really got into the 7s format. The games where quick, physical and very skilful. Now Vegas is ready made for big sporting events like this. The weather was insane! I had to wear my Leinster jersey on my head to stop it from falling off, no clouds 90 degree heat ad a hangover is a recipe for disaster. The stadium was similar to the RDS in terms of what it could hold, but it was shaped like a bowl.
There were about 40,000 people there all cheering. We even ran into a stag do from Australia…at least I think it was Australian. Judging by their accents they were either from Sydney or Limerick ;).
Anyway, fond memories aside it got me thinking as to why we don’t take 7s rugby seriously in this country? Now I don’t expect us to be like Fiji or anything but we could use it to blood the younger players. Get them competition time in the green/blue jersey. It is ready made for academy players. If any of you went to the first rugby match in the Aviv…..LANSDOWNE ROAD (ALWAYS) where it was all youth or academy lads playing. They could have been representing Ireland or Leinster in the 7s tour. I think it would bridge the gap between the academy and the main squad very well. They would be put into pressure situations and would learn how to deal with these things before having to put the first squad jersey on.
When you look at the Leinster academy players. Aside from being annoyed at how young they are. The feckers have their lives ahead of them, and talent…..I won a medal once I’ll have you know!!
Sorry I got distracted by my own insecurities. But yea if you look at the academy, there are 24 players. You could take 14 of the best of those and prep them for even an interprovincial or a home nations 7s tournament to be held (in the beginning) once a year. I would love to organize this. I honestly think that once a move to 7s rugby starts, it will snowball from there.
The main issue I had with Vegas was that the beer was far too weak. They made up for the fact by having those aluminium bottles, which added comedy value. So 34 beers later the final was on. The stadium was full. Colours everywhere. Pockets of fans from different countries all over the place. The standard of banter was high. I just feel we could run a great competition. We have everything here; I just don’t understand why we don’t take advantage of it. Especially considering it will be an Olympic event in Rio.
Vegas may have been ready made for that tournament but we have a far better fan base, better infrastructure and the purpose built venues to put this on. So if any readers would be interested, I will put myself forward to attempt to organize an interpro 7s tournament. Let me know what you think @nkeegan.
Outside of thinking about 7s the season is about to start. I am so excited the cats (ie the wife) have moved out for a while. Apparently it is for their own good….or something. After watching our first match last week it is clear to see that there is a huge difference between team 1 and team 3 (the team that started last week). But sure why break with tradition and win our first league game? The double is still on lads.
Anyway, I hope to see and hear you all on Saturday. When thunderstruck starts (the precursor to Welcome to the jungle) I will be the one going absolutely bananas! Keep an eye out.
Until next week…….
Keego (@nkeegan): Newbie blogger, former professional wrestler, sometime attempted rugby player (@TheThirsty3rds), professional procrastinator and attempted musician with a fondness for long walks on the bar, tea and the couch. Opinionated Leinster fan and constant gardener.











D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019