Friday, September 21, 2012

Lions Selector Panel–1st Round (SCO)

It’s one of the hottest debate topics egg-chasing has to offer.

Given we live in something of a green goldfish bowl on these Irish shores, there’s no harm getting input from elsewhere. And so we have the HarpinOnRugby Lions Selector Panel, made up of one fan from each nation, with even the Irish panellist based abroad.

They have already made their pre-season picks, this week our Scottish panellist Kirsten Bruce updates us on her selections.

British-Irish-Lions-logo-20131

First of all, I want to offer my sincere condolences to the family and friends of Nevin, Graham and Noel Spence. This terrible tragedy has rocked not only the Ulster rugby community, but also the rugby community as a whole. Certainly my spirits were lifted to hear that there will be a minute’s silence at every Rabo Direct Pro 12 match, and also a chorus of Stand Up For The Ulster Men. Nevin was such a talent; he will be sorely missed by Ulster players and fans, plus also anybody who follows the Celtic league and Ireland.

As I am sure many readers will not want to be reading too much after this misfortune and heartbreak, I will keep the main body of my Lions XV short and sweet. I have not changed my starting XV as I have seen no need too. Tim Visser – SIX tries this season already. His name is already sewn into the #11 shirt. However, replacements were tricky. Ian Evans red carded in Ospreys first game is not what you want to see, which is why Ryan is picked over him.

1. Cian Healy

2. Ross Ford

3. Euan Murray

4. Richie Gray

5. Alun Wyn Jones

6. Dan Lydiate

7. Ross Rennie

8. Jamie Heaslip

9. Eoin Reddan

10. Jonathan Sexton

11. Tim Visser

12. Jonathan Davies

13. Manu Tuilagi

14. George North

15. Leigh Halfpenny

Replacements:

16. Rory Best

17. Gethin Jenkins

18. Donnacha Ryan

19. Thomas Waldrom

20. Danny Care

21. Greig Laidlaw

22. Stuart Hogg

Thanks for reading guys. I’m sure next month I’ll have made changes…

I’m Kirsten. Some who read this may follow me on twitter (@kirstenbruce_02). I’m a big Scotland supporter, so apologies if I am a little bit biased. Also, big thanks to Jeff (@HarpinOnRugby) for allowing me to be involved – it’s sure to be challenging but a great experience!

Thank you Kirsten! If you follow this link you will see the Composite Lions XV made up from the four panellist’s choices.  It remains unchanged this week, next Friday we hear from our Irish contributor.

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019