Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Why I love the Pro12 by @Kristian7Ross

During the upcoming season Kristian Ross will be writing about his beloved Ulster but today he looks at the league in general.

The Celtic League, The Magners League, it's been known by a few names over the last few years, but the RaboPRO12 as we now know it for me is the best league in Europe.

As I'm writing this plenty of people will be disagreeing. But the PRO12 has so much variety, one of the reasons why I like it so much. For instance the fact that it comprises teams from four different countries. It's superb that a Irish team can take on an Welsh team, then the week after end up playing away in Italy.

There is so many rival matches in the PRO12, I love watching the four provinces of Ireland take on each other, which for me is somewhat special and I'm sure that when the four teams of Wales take on each other, the Welsh feel the occasion too , as well as Zebre fans this season when they take on Treviso and Edinburgh fans when they take on Glasgow.

Also, in my opinion PRO12 teams have proven that they are some of the best teams in Europe; in the last seven Heineken Cup finals, six PRO 12 teams have appeared, with of course the all Irish final last season, and Leinster's dominance overall over the last few years.

Player quality in the PRO12 is staggeringly brilliant as well, this years ERC Player of the Year competition saw Rob Kearney take the prize a year after his fellow teammate Sean O'Brien won it, but other contenders on the final list of five included Stevie Ferris, Ruan Pienaar, and Jonathan Sexton, the only none PRO12 player on the list of final candidates being Johnny Wilkinson.

People may think I'm biased due to me supporting Ulster and you may dislike my opinion, followers of the Aviva Premiership and Top 14 may say that I'm wrong, but I believe without a shadow of a doubt, the PRO12 is the best league in Europe and will be for some years to come. Only time will tell....

I'm Kristian. 18. And my mind is filled with rugby shaped thoughts. Supporting Ulster Rugby, Newcastle Falcons and of course the mighty Ireland. Tommy Bowe is the MAN !!!! SUFTUM.

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019