Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Keego on…Pre- & Post-match (part one)

As well as his regular Thursday column this week, Keego gives us a personal account of his big match weekend…

790485_100826182648_Rugby_ball_1

PART 1…PRE-MATCH

In the words of the joker……here……we…..go!!

The season kicks into high gear this weekend. It is my favourite weekend of the sporting year. It is put up or shut up for Leinster and Munster.

While some people are not putting a lot of credence in the outcome of Saturdays match, I think it is HUGELY important for both teams.

And for me, for the first time in a while. I am quite worried about Leinster. Last season there was a slow league start, as is usual, but we always looked like we where going in the right direction. We just looked slightly anxious. This year we just look flat. Flatter than………eh well let’s just say flat. Against Edinburgh in the rds, we where about 4 steps off being average. Munster has had spells of really good play. Up until last week against Ospreys of course.

It was good to read that King Joe tore the arse off the players after the Connaught game, because it was not good. I understand it wasn’t the first or even the second string, but we should at least look cohesive. There is no shame in the third team losing but looking good and fighting hard, there is a bit of shame in rolling over so easily. I do not meant to be harsh; I just say it like I see it.

We have a few injuries; Kearnashian Rob is out with a disc problem from last week. This is bad news for us. We need our top 15 to be fully involved coming into the Heineken, and equally as importantly, to beat Munster. The Darce has a bogey rob so he may not make it either. Hopefully Captain Cullen will shake off a sore arm and get into the middle of the line to boss people.

I am not sure why this weekend is worrying me so much. I just think we are not moving forward like we did at this time last year. The players are saying the right things, they always do. I just hope the fancy cars and money aren’t taking the lads eyes off the ball? We are the best club team in Europe / the world; we really need to start playing like it.

I drove past the stadium this afternoon and got really excited. I always love the banter with the Munster heads. They are so easy to wind up. And let’s be honest it is rare that they are in a place with electricity and running water ;).

The game on Saturday may be low on skill but it will be high on aggression and provincial pride.

I am gagging for it.

ALLEZ LE BLEAU!

See you in the west lower ;)

Click here for part two

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019