Friday, October 19, 2012

Lions Selector Panel–2nd Round (SCO)

It’s one of the hottest debate topics egg-chasing has to offer.

Given we live in something of a green goldfish bowl on these Irish shores, there’s no harm getting input from elsewhere. And so we have the HarpinOnRugby Lions Selector Panel, made up of one fan from each nation, with even the Irish panellist based abroad.

This week it’s the turn of our Scottish panellist Kirsten Bruce.

British-Irish-Lions-logo-20131

Well, it’s been quite an eventful week in term of rugby hasn’t it? Bad refereeing, bad decisions and to top it all off, my Edinburgh losing two in a row at home to Treviso and then to Saracens.

I know, I know, you can’t blame the ref for everything, but for the Treviso match it was astonishing. Even I, having only done my Rugby Ready course (so far) felt a football fan that knows bugger all about rugby could have done a better job!

Not wanting to get sidetracked, or I could rant all day about referees; I’ll get on with my Lions XV. A good few changes having to be made. Dan Lydiate’s injury has ruled him out unfortunately. Tricky trying to find someone to fill his boots – but there was only one option. THE FEZ. A few other changes, nothing too drastic. There looks to be a good tussle going on for top all-time try scorer in Celtic League – Tim Visser only 3 tries away from current holder Tommy Bowe. Things could get exciting!

1. Cian Healy

2. Ross Ford

3. Euan Murray

4. Richie Gray

5. Alun Wyn Jones

6. Stephen Ferris

7. Ross Rennie

8. Jamie Heaslip

9. Eoin Reddan

10. Jonathon Sexton

11. Tim Visser

12. Manu Tuilagi

13. Tommy Bowe

14. George North

15. Leigh Halfpenny

Replacements:

16. Rory Best

17. Gethin Jenkins

18. Donnacha Ryan

19. Kelly Brown

20. Danny Care

21. Greig Laidlaw

22. Brad Barritt

Just a quick little note at the end re: Jonny Wilkinson – if the decision was left to me (I wish) he would not even be considered for the Lions tour next year. He retired from international rugby last year so he gave the opportunity up. Warren Gatland would be making a big mistake taking him. Sexton/O’Gara, Laidlaw/Weir, Priestland/Hook and Flood/Farrell should be the main priorities for the tour.

I’m Kirsten. Some who read this may follow me on twitter (@kirstenbruce_02). I’m a big Scotland supporter, so apologies if I am a little bit biased. Also, big thanks to Jeff (@HarpinOnRugby) for allowing me to be involved – it’s sure to be challenging but a great experience!

Thanks again Kirsten! Her selection means there is a change to the HoR Composite Lions selection, follow this link to see how it now stacks up.  Next week, we complete the second round of selections with our Irish panellist.

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019