Thursday, October 18, 2012

Keego on…Scars & Scarlets

Not too sure what Keego is writing about this week as apparently I’m busy watching Downton…

790485_100826182648_Rugby_ball_1

And welcome to your next dose of Keego madness.

This entry comes from deep within the bowels of HoR Manor. I managed to sneak in out of the rain and into the house while the big man was watching Downton Abbey.

I thought I would start with our last Heineken cup match against Exeter. It appears that I feel the complete opposite of every other Leinster supporter about the team’s performance. In saying that, I missed the first half. I can’t go into details why, I can only say it involved my other job as a pole dancing instructor (I am available for birthdays, hen nights, bar mitzvahs weddings and funerals). But I was reliably told that the first half was, as Shay (the Robin to my Batman) put it, ‘shite’. The more technical rugby pundits (Shay is a no fuss low word count pundit), have said that we were not clinical enough when getting into the opposition 22.

Someone in Downton Abbey just mentioned ‘protein in her urine’, Mr. Harpin just said ‘aaahhhh leave it out’.

Back to rugby.

I think a lot of us are forgetting how good this Exeter team is. They will put Clermont under huge pressure this weekend and I would not be surprised if they get a result at home against the French. From what I saw in the second half last weekend, they were very strong in defence. They didn’t have a huge amount of invention going forward, but a lot of that was down to the really good Leinster defence.

Which brings me to why I am positive about the match? We defended very very well. Exeter didn’t look like getting anywhere near the try line. They did work their way into penalty distance but suffered from 2 missed kicks from Steenson. They did work their way to a kickable distance in the 80th minute, but missed the kick into the north stand. We had big performances from our captain; he put in a tough 80 and looked to be nearing his best. I think Jamie Heaslip is doing so much dirty work (which is also the name of a film I accidently starred in) that some are forgetting about him. It was another savage display by the next Leinster and Ireland captain. He is maturing nicely and is constantly adding new strings to his bow. There were a lot of positives but I was worried about our lack of 7 pointers, but again, this Chiefs team is really good. I think after they play Clermont a lot of us will calm down and see the big plusses of this game.

Now on to this week.

We play the Scarlets (I can’t type or say the actual place they are from) away at 13:35 (that’s half 1pm for those of you in the digital age). As I type this the squads have not been announced, but there are rumours afoot of the Darce and Kearney Rob being back in the squad and maybe getting a run out. For me the Ferg has been playing blinders beside the Notorious B O’D (#NotoriousBOD) and should start. Having Darce on the bench is a great weapon to have. If he came on at the hour mark it would add a huge amount to the team, as well as frightening the Scarlets. And while Kearney is one of the best fullbacks in this decade, it would be hard on Madigan to be shunted on to the bench. Madigan is becoming the ‘position impossible’ (which sounds like a film I accidently….you get the picture…….) man in the team. He has played in the middle; he has played 10 and has played 15. All to a very high level. For me, the same thing that should happen with Darce (assuming he is fit) should happen with Kearney (again assuming fitness is right). By the hour mark we should have a rake of points on the board and bringing on these two aces would surely stifle any chance of a Scarlets comeback.

The things we have to do right remain the same. The lineout against Exeter was not good. We lost too many, and while it is not a huge problem at this stage in the competition, it would be a huge problem on the 15/12 against Clermont (jaysus I am sick of that lot). The scrum looked good and the defence, I thought, was outstanding. It was near its last season best. We just need a wee bit of go forward.

We should be beating Scarlets any time we play them. They are tough but predictable. This is the best chance we have to put some big points on the board, get the simple things right and get the confidence back to 100%. For the first time this season I feel we are moving in the right direction. A lot of things are moving in the right direction, the injury list is looking manageable now and last weekends performance was really good.

Lets gitter done!

Allez Le Bleu!

Keego (@nkeegan): Newbie blogger, former professional wrestler, sometime attempted rugby player (@TheThirsty3rds), professional procrastinator and attempted musician with a fondness for long walks on the bar, tea and the couch. Opinionated Leinster fan and constant gardener.

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019