Thursday, January 10, 2013

Keego on… Tries & Trying

More of the same from Murrayfield this Saturday please lads! writes Keego…

790485_100826182648_Rugby_ball_1

So it is 2013 and we STILL do not have hover boards! I thought we were working towards new scientific endeavours but still no hover boards. Colour me disappointed!

I hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year celebrations. Even our Munster readers.

I thought for my resolutions I would try to not be so negative towards the Leinster team. I never meant to come across as a grumpy eeejit, but after reading some of the last blogs I do come across that way. It always came from the right place; I didn’t like what was happening in the last rake of games. We were not firing the way we should have been.

But then the lads came back. Drico, Kearney Rob (I don’t know why I always say his name backwards) and Lukey (after what feels like 5 years out) all put in a big shift against Edinburgh. Drico playing the full 80 minutes and the lads getting the hour. Within 19 minutes we found out that Drico still had his dancing feet. Kearney had more control of the air than Ryanair. And Luke, once he stayed calm, had a game that will add confidence for next time.

Whilst Edinburgh is WOEFUL, we still had to put on a decent performance, score tries and look good doing so. I think we did this. Although it is hard to tell with the commentator talking Irish. My Irish is not the best, which is the reason for my old Irish teacher Ms. Murphy having sleepless nights. So I had to use my own brain to come up with opinions, which as we all know is another one of my weak points.

So what should we expect this weekend against the Scarlets in the Heineken Cup?

Firstly we need a win. Start there, we also need a bonus point, but we cannot think about that for the first half an hour. If we could get 2 tries up in the first half then we can roll forward and try to get the bonus point. We cannot let that be the primary thought.

Strong start, keeping it simple and just moving forward should get us there. We can still qualify on 19 points if results go our way, but 20 should make sure of it. I just have a feeling that we will get there. The performance last week was reminiscent of the performances that usually start for us around November time. We are just running a wee bit late this year.

I would predict the same score line this weekend as last weekend. Don’t put your house on it, but a few euros would earn you a post match pint in victory.

I thought I would pick Keego’s starting 15 to finish up this week:

1 – Healy - nuff said

2- Cronin –playing well at the moment and will be tough for Strauss to get the jersey back

3- Ross – some cute runs from him last weekend… (Co-incidentally, cute runs is the name of a film I accidently starred in)

4- Cullen – strong last week, we cannot afford to rest him.

5 – Denton/Browne – Anyone but Toner is what I am saying

6 – McLaughlin – blinder of a season so far

7- Heaslip – I still think (and probably the only one) he is more suited to this position.

8 – O’Brien – his strongest position, but has been a good 7 in the few games back

9- Redden – ball flinger extraordinaire

10 – Do I really have to say it? ;)

11 – McFadden – deserves the start, we need a big start from a big player. Fitzgerald on the bench if needed.

12- The Darce – having a really good season so far.

13 – See 10

14 – Nacewa (should he be passed fit)

15 – See 13 and 9

I think this is the strongest team we have at our disposal right now. Bench would have Strauss, Jenno, Dundon, Madigan, Heinke, Bent, Boss and Fitzgerald.

What do you think? As usual @nkeegan is where you can chat/debate/abuse me to your heart’s content.

All the breast for the 13. The year of our king ;)

Until next week.

Keego (@nkeegan): Newbie blogger, former professional wrestler, sometime attempted rugby player (@TheThirsty3rds), professional procrastinator and attempted musician with a fondness for long walks on the bar, tea and the couch. Opinionated Leinster fan and constant gardener.

D4tress

D4tress
Taken by JLP from RDS press box on Nov 16, 2019